The girls were busy making pumpkin lanterns today (pics to follow tomorrow), so I decided to try and make a pumpkin pie.
I haven’t made shortcrust pastry since I was in secondary school but I did ok in making a nice thin base for the pie. I used a recipe from BBC.co.uk.
Ingredients for Shortcrust Pastry
Preparation method for Shortcrust Pastry
- Put the flour and salt in a large bowl and add the cubes of butter.
- Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until you have a mixture that resembles coarse breadcrumbs with no large lumps of butter remaining. Try to work quickly so that it does not become greasy.
- Using a knife, stir in just enough of the cold water to bind the dough together.
- Place in fridge to chill while making filling.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Pie Filling
- 2 cups pumpkin purée
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tbs arrowroot powder (I used 2 tbs flour, could probably have used 3)
- 1 tbs cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
Preparation method for Pumpkin Pie Filling
- Mix the pumpkin, coconut milk, sugar, arrowroot, salt, spices and vanilla.
- Whisk the eggs until the yolks and whites are completely emulsified.
- Whisk the eggs into the pumpkin mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pie crust. Bake at 180 degrees for about 50 minutes. The top will be set and there will still be the slightest bit of jiggle to the filling when shaken. Set on a cooling rack to let cool completely.
- Serve with lashings of whipped cream and another mug of coffee/latte!