This is a recipe for the slow cooker that I’d been meaning to try for a while.
It contains eggs, which I’ve come across in recipes for Fish Pie but have never added because I always thought it sounded a bit….ick, to be honest.
Yesterday I decided to try out the casserole. A couple of people have asked for the recipe, so here it is:-
700g (1.5lb) cod
3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
100g (4 oz) button mushrooms, sliced
salt and pepper
50g (2 oz) flour
400ml (3/4 pt milk)
75g (3oz) Cheddar cheese, grated
50g (2 ox) Cheddar cheese, grated
2/3 tomatoes, sliced
4 slices toast
- Cut the cod into pieces and put into the slow cooker.
- Add the eggs, mushrooms and season well.
- Heat the butter in a pan, add the onion and fry without browning.
- Stir in the flour and gradually stir in the milk. Bring to the boil, stirring continuously.
- Add the cheese, bay leaf and cloves.
- Pour over the fish and cook for 2 – 2.5 hours on the Slow cooker’s high setting, or 3-6 hours on the auto setting.
- Remove the bay leaf and cloves and stir gently.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and arrange the tomato slices in a circle.
- Brown under a hot grill, garnish with toast triangles and parsley.
My verdict? Tasty but I’d leave the eggs out in future. They’re filling, but even though I chopped them up into small pieces, I thought they were over powering.